Development and Growth

 

1956

Marie Adelaide Dispensary (the first Leprosy clinic) was established.

1960

Dr. Ruth Pfau joined MAC and established Leprosy Control Program in Pakistan.

1961

Dr. Zarina Fazelbhoy joined the team. The first ‘’ward’’ was set up.

1963

Marie Adelaide Leprosy Centre moved into the new premises.

1965

The first batch of paramedical workers trained in Leprosy and Leprosy Control Program reached in Rural Sindh and NWFP.

1967

Leprosy Control Program commenced in Azad Kashmir and Northern Areas.

1971

Leprosy Control Program started in Balochistan.

1975

Combined Leprosy-TB Program initiated in Azad Kashmir.

1981

MALC got recognized as National Training Institute for Leprosy.

1983

Multi-Drug Therapy (MDT), the new treatment strategy was introduced by WHO.

1987

TB integrated with Leprosy in Northern Areas and Primary Healthcare for eyes initiated in Balochistan.

1993

Primary Healthcare for eyes initiated in NWFP.

1995

Primary Healthcare for eyes initiated in Rural Sindh.

1996

Leprosy was controlled all over Pakistan.

1997

Program embarked on Leprosy Elimination phase.

2000

MALC introduced “Triple Merger Program” at provincial and regional level.

2002

MALC introduced “Expanded Leprosy Control Program” at National level.

2005

Initiation of major involvements in Disaster through AJK/NWFP Earthquake Relief and Rehabilitation

2006

MALC explores new avenues in Community Health and Development

2008

Integration of Leprosy into General Health Services started

2009

Capacity Building in Disaster Management and Beginning of Phase II of Leprosy Elimination.

 

2010

 

Actively participated in the Flood Relief, Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Project countrywide.

 

2011

 

From Leprosy Control to Leprosy elimination alongwith TB & Blindness Control, Skin diseases and Community Development – the journey is On…